I found this stand at a Thrifty Shopper that I don’t normally get to frequent last summer. It was only $4.99. The top was very rough and someone had carved a flower in one of the legs, but it is solid wood and made very well.
I gave the top and the leg with the carving a good sanding, wiped it down well, and then set out to chalk paint it (I am so in love with chalk paint right now…I know, I am a late bloomer).
I have a good supply of Folk Art chalk paint, although I just recently found a new product that I absolutely love and will be sharing that in the next couple of weeks as I try out more of their colors and product line.
Folk Art is the first brand of chalk paint that I have ever used and it is perfectly fine for smaller projects, but as I try more brands I am discovering what brands work better depending on the type of project. Folk Art is very easy to find, inexpensive and comes in a lot of colors, but coverage can be an issue depending on the type of surface you are working with. I also wrote an article on how to make your own chalk paint, which I prefer to do on larger projects, or when I want a specific hard to find color. You can find that article here.
I chose a color called Savannah for the outside. It is a nice blend of light brown with a bit of a gray undertone. It took two coats of chalk paint, lightly sanding between coats using 220 grit sand paper. I noticed that since the top had to be sanded down to almost bare wood, the grain raised up quite a bit after the first coat of paint, so sanding was a must for a smooth finish. I used Vintage Mustard for the inside. Right now I am really drawn to 2-toned and even 3-toned pieces. Not sure how well they will sell, so I will have to wait and see on that.
I think the new paint color helped the little details on the front of the stand to really pop out. They were almost invisible with that dark stain. Before I waxed, I distressed some of the edges using a sanding sponge. I’m not sure of the grit (it just says medium on the box).
This is the first time I have tried distressing with a sanding sponge, to remove some of the paint to create an aged look. I recently came across another blogger that likes to use a damp cloth to rub away the chalk paint before waxing, so I look forward to trying that in the future.
I used two coats of Folk Art Clear Wax to protect the whole piece, inside and out after the final coat of paint dried for 24 hours. I let the wax dry 24 hours before buffing and I can still see some brush strokes from the wax. I haven’t noticed that before with this brand of wax, so maybe the color is enhancing it somewhat, I don’t know. The finish feels baby smooth to the touch and has just the right amount of wear around the edges, so all in all I am pleased with how it turned out. I think this little stand would work well next to an occasional chair or even as a nightstand in a guest room. I’m pretty sure its original purpose was to hold a telephone and a telephone book inside the cubby.
Below are some affiliate links to some of the products I used for this project. Buying something through one of these links will help pay for the hosting fees on this website.